Thread: Meta Trader (Not Responding)

Thanks
    Forex Ability & Talent

Meta Trader (Not Responding)

I was doing some back testing in my meta trader. I changed the number of bars in the chart history to 99999999999 (i.e. the max).

I had about 15 charts open. When I restarted my meta trader, as soon as it loads up it stops responding and crashes, therefore I can't access the options to change the number of bars in the history.

I have looked in my system processes and it is taking up over 80% of my computers memory. I need some help on this.

Thanks
    Forex Ability & Talent
    Yes, the reason why your meta trader is hanging is because it's trying to load so many bars in it's history. It's usually okya when you have a low number of charts open, but when you have a large number open each of which have so many bars that it's trying to load, it becomes a soft memory and cpu nightmare. The computer can't handle it and often times meta trader will crash almost immediately.

Maybe try to close some of the chart windows immediately after you open meta trader before it starts to hang, or try to change the number of bars in the history if you can access the options menu.

There may be a way to delete the number of charts open without opening up meta trader but I'm not sure how to that. Maybe you go into the profiles section of your meta trader and delete the current profile (move it out of the folder for safe keeping reference).

As a last resort, you could back up the most important templates, indicators and expert advisors in your meta trader folder; uninstall meta trader and then install it again.

I hope this helps, at least some what.

Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Thanks
    Forex Ability & Talent
    Further to this point, when you have many charts open which have a lot going on them with many bars in the history, the computers RAM get's absolutely annihilated.

So if you are going for it big time, you should have a lot of ram, and by a lot I mean a minimum of 4GB.

I've seen systems with 4GB of ram at 100% RAM usage because of meta trader and all of the open charts.

Just try to close the charts which you don't need. (And change the number of bars in the history).... And don't make your charts too busy with pretty indicators.

Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Thanks
    Forex Ability & Talent
    It is probably that your code is 'dirty' and needs 'cleaning'. Try to reduce the iterations of any 'for' loops etc. or get it to run every other tick.

Thread Information